Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Sushi!

We finally got our hands on Veganomicon and the very first thing we made was the Spicy Tempeh Nori Rolls (pg. 47). We couldn't stop there, so we also made a few of our own creations. I did the prep including making the rice, tempeh mixture and cut the veggies. I also made a sweet and spicy dipping sauce that had soy sauce, Thai chili sauce, agave nectar and sesame oil. Jared did the rolling and then I cut the rolls. We were a good team on this!
The Spicy Tempeh Nori Rolls were fantastic! They had the Nori seaweed, rice, tempeh mixture (tempeh, Vegenaise, chili and sesame oil), green onions and avocado. I highly recommend you make these. We also made four other rolls that contained some combination of grated carrots, cucumbers, green onions, avocado, spicy tempeh mixture and toasted black and white sesame seeds. Jared was even able to make an inside out roll which was very impressive! It was a lot of work, from start to finish about an hour to make all the rolls. When we sat down to eat, they were gone in about ten minutes!!! My fears of making homemade sushi are gone and we can't wait to make these again!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

18 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

Looks awesome. I love the spicy tempeh rolls. Watching Isa and Terry's video helped a lot. Nice inside out rolls too :-) Try the yamroom roll next time, perfect for the holidays!

Leigh said...

I'm still to scared to make homemeade sushi. :)
Nice work!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

WOW!! The Spicy Tempeh Nori Rolls, as well as the other sushi variations that you made, look stellar!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your sushi looks delicious!
I'm sure it was great!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

They look SO great! I just wish I liked nori.

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

omg fellow sushi-er! yours look so good, I love the two-toned sesames!

Pink Theory said...

yay! your spread looks gorgeous and yummy of course!

Veggie Cookster said...

I need to get Veganomicon. Everyone is posting such lovely recipes from it on their blogs. Your rolls look great! :)

MeloMeals said...

Gorgeous! I have yet to attempt the inside out roll.

JENNA said...

nori rolls are the reason I wish I liked seaweed. they look so pretty and delicious..but they unfortunatly arent delicious on my tastebuds. so sad. they are beautiful though!

Sam said...

Wow. Those look great! Maybe these would be the perfect way to get my fiance to eat tempeh... He's so stubborn sometimes!

Kayla said...

They look gorgeous. I remember the first time I picked up Veganomicon, I was flipping through the pages and I came across the picture of the sushi. It was so beautiful I began to salivate. You're pictures are having the same effect.

The Little Mama said...

What perfect sushi! I am so intimidated by sushi. Yours looks so lovely!

Anna said...

YUM! I love those inside-out rolls especially. Inspiring post...I've been wanting to persuade Josh to give nori another try, maybe now's the time. Thanks Lori! :)

urban vegan said...

These are hot on my list of "recipes to try." Yours look scrumptious.

Ashasarala said...

Hey, there!

These look great. I'm a HUGE fan of nori and sushi rolls. Any tips on how to keep the sushi sheets from falling off? Last time I made nori rolls, the darn sheets wouldn't stay shut!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

Thanks everyone! if you like nori, you need to make these!

Ashasarala- my hubby used water to seal the seam. it takes a minute or two to make it stick and you have to be real careful when you slice them.

bazu said...

Your sushi look beautiful.