Monday, September 3, 2007

a weekend tribute to summer time

As summer is slowly coming to an end, this weekend's meals were comprised of summery goodness. Jared and I went to Marietta, GA to explore the town and visit Harry's Farmers Market. Despite being vegan, I still watch a few shows on Food Network, including Good Eats. I bring this up only because when Alton Brown (host of Good Eats) goes to a grocery store, it usually is this place. So while it is nerdy, I wanted to go check it out. It is actually a really great store. They had organic heirloom tomatoes on sale so we picked up a red one with green and black highlights and a yellow one. Last night, Jared's brilliant idea was to make spaghetti with some of my homemade tomato sauce (which I usually always have in the freezer) with the raw heirloom tomatoes on top. This was so good. I have never had better tomatoes in my whole life and with the spaghetti, homemade sauce and vegan Parmesan sprinkles it was heavenly. I also made some of my crazy bread to help mop up the sauce.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Tonight I made a meal my Grammie would be proud of. I roasted red, yukon and purple potatoes with olive oil, several cloves of garlic, sea salt and fresh thyme. The green beans were boiled to death (the southern way!) with sea salt and black pepper. I also sliced some plain ol' red tomatoes with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette. I originally was going to have corn on the cob but the corn wasn't good enough on it's own, so I cut the corn off the cob and put into corn bread. The corn bread recipe I made was from The Damn Tasty Vegan Baking Guide. This was an amazing corn bread recipe, especially if you like a sweeter cornbread like we do. The good thing was the corn bread doubled as our dessert. You must get this book . . . it's awesome!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yup, the cornbread is talking to me. can you hear it? I need to quit buying so many vegan cookbooks, I have no more room!! I can always sell the husband? hahaha!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

hehe!
this book is actully quite small (about 100 pages) so you can keep yr husband and still buy this book.

Theresa said...

That second pictures is like a gorgeous rainbow of colours! And that crazy bread still looks great. I tried making corn bread a few weeks ago and was less than pleased... maybe I should find that cookbook!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I have so been meaning to pick up some heirlooms before they're all gone. I must stop by the store on the way home today, thanks for the inspiration!
Your southern meal would make my grandma proud as well!! I loooove cornbread. Why haven't I tried the recipe from damn tasty...no excuses, must get to it.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

thanks theresa! i didn't even plan on the color scheme. thats the cool thing about southern food, it kinda works out that way!
you should try the corn bread recipe in that book. it was very moist and flavorful.

vegan noodle- i am kicking myself for not trying heirloom tomatoes before this past weekend. i could eat plates of them. glad i inspired you to pick some up!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

looks like two great meals to enjoy while paying tribute to summertime. I'm especially drawn to that pasta dish (I'm sure you've seen on my blog how much pasta I eat, haha).

I too need to check out the Damn Tasty cookbook - I've only heard amazing things about its recipes!!

Anonymous said...

oh, yum! nice presentations, too!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

VeggieGirl- yeah, the pasta was pretty awesome. i highly recommend raw tomatoes on top of pasta. it's such a nice contrast.

thanks StonieLove!