Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Penne Vodka

Our trip to and from Jacksonville was quite the whirlwind. Typically it takes about 4-5 hours from Atlanta to Jacksonville, but because it was a holiday weekend, the drive took closer to 6-7 hours (12-14 hours roundtrip). It was exhausting to say the least. The Tofurky turned out really tasty. I especially liked the wild rice stuffing in the inside of the roast. I will for sure make this roast again, but I think I will experiment with different basting liquids next time.
After all that cooking last week I haven't been really motivated to get back into the kitchen. Luckily, Jared was, and made us some lovely Penne Vodka from Veganomicon (pg.193). I wouldn't say it tasted like the vodka sauce I’m use to BUT it was really, really great as it was. We had the sauce over Whole Grain Penne and guess what???? We actually really loved the pasta over the all white-based kind. I don't think this pasta was 100% whole wheat, so, for now baby steps are being taken towards 100% whole-wheat varieties.
Jared also made garlic toasts and a raspberry vinaigrette spring mix salad with walnuts, grape tomatoes and sprouts. We were so hungry though we inhaled the salad before we could take a picture. It was very pretty and tasty.
Photobucket

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch, that's a long time to be in a car! It's tough, but it sounds like it was well worth it. =)

Mmm... I want to make penne vodka but no one in my house drinks vodka! I might have to buy a mini sampler.

I've been a huge fan of whole wheat pasta. I switched to it a few years ago and refuse to eat white pasta. I don't think about it so I don't notice the difference.

J said...

Ick, what a long drive!

That is really sweet of Jared to cook and give you a break in the kitchen.

You liked the whole grain noodles? Awesome! There are so many different varieties, keep trying them, you'll find one you guys really loe.

That meal looks fantastic. I'll take some, yup, yup.

Rural Vegan said...

That's an impressive meal given that you just got home from a very long road trip in holiday traffic! Glad the Tofurkey worked out too.

Leigh said...

Welcome home!

So, what brand of wheat pasta did you use? I have tried some before that I didn't care for, but I know that certain brands can be better than others. We are partial to the Tinkyada brown rice pasta, it tastes just like semolina pasta, but is less heavy on our stomachs.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Yikes! Sounds like a long drive! I never really feel like cooking much after traveling. Very cool of jared to do the cooking! I don't think I've ever seen pasta with part whole wheat, I need to hunt that down (john prefers white pasta, I like wheat).

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oof, I hate holiday travel! Glad you survived & had some tasty foods too!

Jenny Wren said...

That looks tasty. I've never made vodka sauce. Now I want to give it a try.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Long drives = yucky

Penne Vodka = superb!

Theresa said...

I've never had vodka sauce but that looks really yummy!

TB said...

sorry about your long drive, but glad you enjoyed this recipe! i've been thinking of making it, so it's nice to hear a positive review...

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

the picture isn't loading and I can't see the pretty penne :(
... but I can say that adapting to whole wheat pasta actually does happen, at least I used to think it was a chore to eat it, and then all of a sudden it was nutty and awesome and regular white stuff doesn't do it for me any more. I think it has a lot to do with hitting that specific WW Al Dente spot (which is narrower than for white I think)

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. I've been wanting to try that recipe, so now I will.

Thanks for posting

vko said...

That penne & garlic bread look absolutely delicious...I'm sure it eased the pain of a horribly long car trip.

Animal-Friendly said...

Man- I hate long drives! My attention span is way too short to be in a car for that long. I don't blame for not wanting to cook too much!

The penne vodka looks really good! I'm thinking of making it for my (omni) family next week since vodka sauce is a favorite in my house. Now I might even try sneaking some whole wheat pasta in while I'm at it....

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

sounds like quite a trip! I'm very impatient, so I could NOT have been in the car for that long, haha ;0)

penne vodka??? love it!