Monday, July 30, 2007

Red Curry Tofu, Summer Fruit Salad

Tonight I made red curry tofu. Since we can't get awesome Thai food around here I have mastered, at least to our liking, red curry. I use a red curry paste that has dried red chili, garlic, lemongrass, shallot, salt, galangal and kaffir lime peel. I cook the paste in canola oil, add coconut milk, natural sugar and a splash of soy sauce (to replace the fish sauce). I fried up some tofu and sauteed cabbage, onions and carrots. I served the tofu and veggies slathered with the red curry sauce with steamed jasmine rice and green onions. Yum!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Also we had this summer inspired fruit salad with strawberries, peaches and blueberries with a light dressing of lemon juice and agave nectar.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

8 comments:

Rose said...

That fruit salad looks good - I just made myself one this morning and sprinkled it with flax seed.

Anonymous said...

that looks heavenly!
i've been itching to make some thai food lately; perhaps i should try a curry, which i've never attempted before :)

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

they make awesome thai curry pastes, which makes thai food at home pretty easy. i've seen red, yellow and green curry pastes around . . . although we really only like red curry. you can put natural peanut butter in a red curry sauce and make it peanut curry sauce.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oOo that fruit salad looks enticing - perfect summer dish :0)

KleoPatra said...

Sweet fruit salad!!! i wuv it. Still gettin' my taste buds used to curry... this looks terrific, btw. Do you use oil or margarine when you fry your tofu??

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

I use canola oil when I fry tofu. It makes it crispy and brown. My real trick to frying tofu though is coating the tofu in corn starch. The corn starch makes it stay crispy longer.
Also, the cool thing about making curry at home is you can control the amount of spice in it!

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

i absolutely LOVE thai food and red curries, but for some reason have yet to try my hand at home.

vegan planet has an amazing thai coconut soup that uses easy to find and inexpensive ingredients but still manages to come out tasting like the versions using authentic thai ones that tend to be pricey or hard to find.

Anonymous said...

Well!! NO WORDS... I hadn't had the guts to try anything Thai at home till now. but after reading this, guess I will... I'm a soup and salad foodie from India. Check out my recipe collection at
http://salads-and-starters.blogspot.com

Do tell me how I can improve with my recipes (I've not gone into much of experimentation yet). Also do let me know if I can post a link to your blog on my site and exchange links. Your feedback would certainly help me.

Cheers!!