Tuesday, August 14, 2007

pinto stew, biscuits

So, this was probably one of the brownest meals I have ever made but it was very delicious. I broke out the crock pot for this pinto stew. I started with about a half pound of dried pinto beans, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks and an onion all chopped rather large. I added veggie stock, water, 2 vegan bouillon cubes, whole garlic cloves, sea salt, black pepper, oregano, chipotle powder, chili powder, cumin, a bay leaf and liquid smoke. I added 3 red potatoes and about 3 tbsp of tomato paste later on in the cooking. After about 6 hours on the high setting, this broth was super rich and the beans and veggies tender.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
These biscuits came out of Vegan with a Vengeance. They are the Baking Powder Biscuits (pg.26) which were really easy to make. They weren't spectacular on their own (you have to know I grew up on my Grammie's biscuits which are hard to beat) but dipped in the pinto stew they were amazing. I will make these again.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

{STAR} said...

Droooolllll!!! you are my new guilty work habit. It makes me want to chew on my mouse pad.

{STAR} said...

Oh and Hell Yeah!!! I enjoy not looking like I got stuck on an island for years... which is why I want to start a deep fried tofu club...mmmmmmm!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

I wanna join that deep fried tofu club! Move to ATL and let's do it. Bring Lepley and Hank with you!