Tuesday, August 28, 2007

spicy corn chili, crazy bread

We ate at Raging Burrito this past weekend and I finally tried their vegetarian chili atop a lovely salad with lettuce, spinach, carrots, red onions, corn chips, guacamole and salsa fresca. It inspired me to make chili tonight. I made my chili with TVP granules, yellow corn, pinto beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, cocoa powder, garlic, sea salt and agave nectar. I blended some of it with my immersion blender and topped it off with a few corn chips. The smokey chipotle and rich cocoa powder is a surprisingly awesome addition! The texture is sort of like a Cincinnati style chili, which I suspect would be amazing on a hot dawg as a left over meal.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My dad pointed out that this bread I made looks like monkey bread. After some research, most of the recipes I found for monkey bread calls for a refrigerated canned biscuit with loads of butter. Since I made my own yeast bread, skipped the butter and balled it up myself, I decided to call this crazy bread instead. I made another batch of yeast bread as I did a couple posts back and rolled the dough into 21 balls in four different sizes and strategically placed the balls in the loaf pan for a second rise. They were topped with an olive oil and agave glaze and baked until brown and beautiful.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Besides the taste, the best part is pulling apart the pieces.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

16 comments:

KellytheCulinarian said...

Yum, those rolls look delicious.

vko said...

Monkey bread, crazy bread- whatever you call it looks like yummy-for-me bread...and I agree the chili leftovers are just begging to top off a tofu dog!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I just had chili for dinner last night; and now I have an idea for the leftovers :0)

great job on the monkey bread - I love how you can pull it apart and make mini rolls, haha

Vegan_Noodle said...

Wow, your bread looks awesome!! The tops even look "buttery".

I can't wait for the temps to cool down (just a bit!!) so I can make chili. I"ve been wanting to try it with TVP...haven't used that much. Looks like you had fantastic results!

Leigh said...

Wow, that bread is so pretty!!

Theresa said...

Your crazy bread looks yum-my. When I've had monkey bread before, it was very sweet, and the balls were rolled in some sort of cinnamon mix before the final rise. Maybe something to play around with....

That chilli looks good, too!

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

oh yum!
now this is the part where i try not to shamelessly beg for whatever yeast bread recipe it is you used for this bread as it just looks absolutely perfect!

The Saucy Coconut said...

WOW! Your bread looks awesome!

I really want to try my hand at breadmaking soon....

Amey said...

holy cow! That bread is rockin! I wish I could be there to eat your chili and bread with you! Mmmm. And, the idea of chipotle powder & cocoa powder in chili is wonderful. I've just started exploring our local Mexican market... I can't wait to go back and explore the chili aisle!

Also, I agree with Don't Get Mad Get Vegan- can you share your basic bread recipe?

:) amey

Kris said...

Your bread looks amazingly delicious! I am jealous.

So glad to find your blog, thanks for picking up the book!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

THANKS everyone! As requested, I posted the recipe (albeit a long recipe) in a new post.
Hope it works out for anyone who trys it!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

That crazy bread looks amazing!

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

That bread looks incredible! I will have to give it a try. My kids love monkey bread so I may try a sweeter version of your crazy bread!

Linda said...

that bread looks like an art project. love it. this is actually my favorite type of bread. so much fun to eat.

yanmaneee said...

curry 6
yeezy 380
golden goose mid star
lebron 18
golden goose outlet
nike lebron shoes
jordan shoes
curry shoes
bape clothing
steph curry shoes

moughez said...

répertoire sacs répliques acheter en ligne parcourir ce site sacs de répliques en Chine Cliquez Ici jetez un œil sur ce site Web