Tuesday, August 21, 2007

mashed potatoes: 2 days, 2 ways

Last night I made baked tofu and loaded mashed potatoes. The baked tofu was a hit with Jared but wasn't very photogenic. The mashed potatoes looked as good as they tasted though. The potatoes were made with red skinned potatoes, several cloves of roasted garlic, sea salt, black pepper, soy creamer and whipped Earth Balance. They were topped with chopped green onions and a shake of vegan "bacon" bits.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
We had left over mashed potatoes last night so I added the remaining chopped green onions to the mashed potatoes and this morning I made potato pancakes. I added a "eggy" binder of ground golden flax seeds and water and added that to the mashed potatoes with a bit of unbleached white flour. I shaped these into rounds/ovals and fried them in a little canola oil. Usually I poke a hole in the center for extra crispiness but these were a fragile batch and I was unable to do it this time. This is the BEST way to use up left over mashed potatoes and something both my Grammie and dad have done over the years. Nothing taste better than tradition.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

{STAR} said...

Today my computer decided that it did not want to show me your delicious pictures. Lets say it was a sad and less than hungry day at work :( The idea sounds amazing. I love taking leftovers and making them new. Almost as much as I love adjusting thrift store clothing :)

Anonymous said...

Mashed potatoes...the ultimate comfort food. They look lovely!

Judy said...

My dad used to make potato things (not sure what he called them) with leftover mashed potatoes, cheese, and sometimes bacon bits. Mm-mm.

Kumudha said...

Belated Happy Birthday!

I love pototo-based dishes, they are so good!