Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ikea finds, 100 calorie snack, Udon Noodle Splurge

This first picture isn't anything spectacular, just my breakfast of coffee with light soymilk and a piece of whole wheat toast with a little natural peanut butter. What I am excited about is the dishes and coffee press in the picture. We went to Ikea to find a lamp for our living room and I found this cute cup and saucer set, where the saucer is large enough on one side to have a piece of toast or other breakfast goodie on it. The cup and saucer were $6. I also have been wanting a coffee press and found this one for $12.
I <3 Ikea!
Photobucket
I'm sure everyone has seen those pre-packaged 100 calorie snacks on the market now. I have seen a few of my fellow bloggers making their own, and thought that was a good idea. Since I am trying to cut my fats and sugary carbs, I decided to make a 100calorie snack plate with veggies and sea salt. This plate had carrot sticks, cucumber spears, daikon radish sticks and cauliflower florets. It's amazing how tasty and filling 100 calories really can be.
Photobucket
Since I had extra calories left from the day I splurged on dinner tonight. I made a noodle bowl with whole wheat Udon noodles, lite tofu, cabbage and onions with a soy/teriyaki/sriracha sauce with sesame seeds and cucumbers. This meal was hefty, coming in at 500 calories, 14 grams of fat (it also had 11 grams of fiber and 21 grams of protein) but it sure was good . . . and I still have enough calories for an apple for dessert/snack later!
Photobucket

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I really enjoy your blog! I've been lurking for a while.

I just had to comment on the saucer and cup set from IKEA - I have some in blue, and every time I fill it with soup and crusty bread on the side, it suddenly is a very fancy meal. :)

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

Hi Jessi- i have been eyeing this cup and saucer set for a while and i am sooo happy to have it now.
it does feel fancy pants when i use mine too.

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love how you can find amazing deals ikea for the stuff you REALLY want but don't want to get anywhere else because it costs a fortune? I was turned off from Ikea a few weeks ago though... they were selling cow hides as rugs. I almost started crying.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

Romina- yeah, that's gross.

Anonymous said...

I love that cup! It is so big and makes me comfy and cozy just thinking about drinking some coffee or tea from it...

Courtney

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

ooh, I've never tried whole wheat udon, it sounds delish! And isn't it great having dishes that actually work with the food you like to eat? awesome finds!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I LOVE Ikea too!! Such a fun store!!

Your 100 calorie snack is nutritious and satisfying - kudos!! So (and thankfully) unlike those nasty, processed, packaged 100-calorie-packs that are marketed - ick!

gc said...

oh my gosh! I love any kind of asian meal with soba noodles or udon or tofu or ...well anything japanese, vietnamese, thai...well...you get the idea! ive grown up eating tofu, seaweed, and miso soup since my parents lived in japan for years so that meal just makes me lick my lips...and drool!

MeloMeals said...

Yay for 100 calorie snacks! I absolutely love daikon..

and those noodles look fabulous!

What calorie range are you trying to stick to? My dinners often have between 700-800 calories depending on what I've eaten during the day, but I allow myself up to 2200 calories per day as long as I exercise.

J said...

I like the look of those veggies!

That udon noodle bowl looks good too, very simple and delish. I bet that simple sauce you made would be good on a rice stir fry too, or quinoa! I want try using quinoa in an Asian stir fry to see how it is.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

Melody- I am trying to actually lose weight, so I am trying to stay under 2000 per day. When I start exercising, I will increase that amount. I am a food grazer so I try to eat smaller meals so I can snack in between.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Cute ikea finds... I like going there, but it's like a zoo!! Always packed with people.

I like all these 100 calorie snacks...