Monday, February 25, 2008

Lori's Party Bars (inspired by My Sweet Vegan)

I am probably the last vegan out here that finally got a copy of My Sweet Vegan by Hannah Kaminsky. I am totally blown away by this cookbook. Not only is the author a great recipe writer, she is also a great photographer. I love how there is a picture for every recipe (or just about). I also like how there is such variety with decadent recipes, lower fat snacks, and both fruity and chocolaty treats. The first recipe that caught my eye was the Party Mix Bars. I mean, who doesn't like a party?
I didn't have the exact ingredients My Sweet Vegan's called for so, I made up my own version. My version made 16 bars each that came out to 175 calories, 3 grams of fat, 115 grams of sodium, 36 grams of carbs, 1 gram of fiber and 2 grams of protein. They are very delicious and not a totally naughty snack.

Lori's "Don't Be A Fruit, Come To My Party" Bars
4 cups of Berry Blast Oats (like Cheerios . . . I used a generic/store brand that has dried blueberries, raspberries and strawberries)
2 cups of mini fat free pretzels (with salt)
1/2 cups cocktail peanuts (with salt)
1 tablespoon whipped Earth Balance margarine
1 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup vegan sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix the cereal, pretzels and peanuts together in a big mixing bowl. In a saucepan, melt the margarine. Once melted, add the corn syrup and sugar and continue to cook on medium heat until sugars are dissolved, being careful not to burn by stirring. Take margarine/sugar mixture off of the heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour sugar mixture over the dry ingredients and carefully combine until everything is evenly covered in the sugar syrup (careful not to break up the cereal). Spray a 9 x13 pan with cooking spray and pour the mixture in evenly. With your fingers (or a spatula if you aren't very personal with your food), mash the mixture into the pan. Let the mixture cool completely before trying to cut and eat!
Photobucket
Photobucket

12 comments:

J said...

I love it when cookbooks come loaded with pictures. I'm always a bit uneasy when I make something sans picture - did it come out right? I wouldn't know I have nothing to compare it to!

Your snack bars look (and sound) fantastic! I am a huge fan of crispy, sweet, and salty snacks, and I bet this would be a hit with omni's as well.

Anonymous said...

VeggieGirl was so sweet to mail me a copy of this book and I just love it! I haven't made anything quite yet, but I have my eye on those peanut butter bombers because Ryan LOVES anything with chocolate peanut butter!! The pictures are absolutely gorgeous and I'm stunned that someone at such a young age could produce such a vegan baking treasure! Your bars look wonderful!

gc said...

Oh my gosh! those are adorable! and definitely nothing like I've seen any body make in a long time. Do you think you could pretty much make it with any combination of cereals?

And anything with pictures is great. Esp. if it's a cookbook! I hate it when recipes don't have pictures!

aTxVegn said...

What a fun and yummy looking treat!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Aww, what a cute name for your party bars. I would definitely come to any party you threw!

Theresa said...

Yummy! You're not the last one to get the book--I still haven't seen it! Maybe I have an excuse since I'm on the other side of the planet, but I still feel out of the loop!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

I don't have the book either, I is so sad! Thank you for posting the bar recipe, though, those look so cerealy good. (and it's nice to hear that there's a variety in there, too)

Vegan_Noodle said...

You are so right about Hannah's book... it rocks! And so does your version of the party bars!!

Billy said...

Mmm, those look good.

BTW, thanks for the comment on my blog. I've added you to my vegan blogroll.

Calimaryn said...

ooo Yummy! Though you are not the last vegan to buy that book. I keep wanting to order 3 more cookbooks, My Sweet Vegan being one of them, and keep telling myself to finish reading the ones I have. Argh! I just might have to break down and get this anyways. How yummy.

Unknown said...

Those look good for a party. I must keep my eyes out for a copy of that cookbook.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, I need to make some party bars!