Monday, February 11, 2008

Tofu Marsala, Soup and Biscuits

Could it be??? Yes, I made a meal that had lots of mushrooms and actually liked it. I'm not ready to cross mushrooms off my dislike list but this dish was very good. This recipe came from Yellow Rose Recipes, a book I am totally addicted to. At first I thought the Marsala marinated tofu was going to be too "boozy" but once I added the tofu to the sauce, it all made sense. It was a bit labor intensive but Jared loves mushrooms so it was worth the effort. We had our Marsala over angel hair pasta that I added olive oil and sea salt to. If you like Marsala and have this cookbook, this is a pretty good recipe to try out.
Photobucket
Tonight I was in the mood for soup so I quickly diced up onion, celery, carrots, red potatoes and sautéed them in a little olive oil with sea salt, black pepper, dried oregano, dried thyme and a bay leaf. I added some veggie stock, a can of diced tomatoes and a can of light red kidney beans. Man, do I ever love kidney beans in soups. They bring such a richness to a soup that cannot be beat. At the last minute, I added in a handful of fresh parsley to brighten things up.
Photobucket
Also from Yellow Rose Recipes, I tried out the Buttermilk Biscuit recipe. SO GOOD! I like that she uses canola oil instead of vegan shortening, which is what I always used. I love (and had already discovered) using lemon juice (or vinegar) in the soymilk to make it thicken like buttermilk for the wet ingredients in the dough. It makes for a fluffy, tangy and downright Southern biscuit!
Photobucket

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats on enjoying a meal with something you hate. I try my best to eat things I don't like, but it's tough. Sometimes the only way to eat things is if they're doused in a lot of sauce or something to mask the flavor. Your tofu marsala looks perfect. =)

Anonymous said...

oh goodness, those biscuits look fantastic! I've been doing a lot of cooking from Yellow Rose Recipes but have yet to make the biscuits OR marsala, but I'm going to plan for those later in the week. yum! I think I can wow my southern grandma with the biscuits, but I'm afraid of having to explain veganism to her once again.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ooh, I need to make those biscuits. I want to make Tofu Marsala, but I never get around to it!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

mmm, kidney *are* wonderful in soup! and those biscuits look to die for.

J said...

You know before I went veg, I didn't like mushrooms at all, and now for some reason, I really like them. It kind of happened without my even noticing.

That Tofu Marsala looks SO good. It makes me want to get Yellow Rose as well! I have VwaV and VCon, and have ordered Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan, so I'm not sure if I should get more cookbooks until I have tried what I want from these. But them I seem yummy stuff like this....

Those biscuits look wonderful too. I have been looking for a good biscuit recipe to go in vegan biscuits and gravy. Hmmmm.

Everything looks delish as usual!

Regina said...

The biscuits look so yummy. I'll have to try making some.

Rural Vegan said...

I commend you on cooking with mushrooms. They're still on my banned list, no mushroom marsala for me yet! I do love YRR though and will have to try the biscuits next seeing how beautiful yours turned out.

Calimaryn said...

Those are some phenomenal looking biscuits. Simply delish with the tomato veggie kidney bean soup I bet! mmmm Makes me want a bowl right now.

Veggie Cookster said...

Just last week a Tofu Marsala recipe caught my eye on the Yahoo homepage and I told myself "that sounds so good!" Glad to hear your recipe turned out well... it looks delicious! :) And so do the biscuits!!

Anonymous said...

Although I can't stand tofu, I heart mushrooms and anything marsala. Sounds like a great dish!

joanna said...

i think that your biscuits actually came out better than mine usually do! beautiful.

letheate said...

look at more info web link her comment is here navigate to this website Visit Website description